new-zealand-white-rabbitRaising Rabbits – The Essentials

There are many reasons to domesticate and raise animals today: some do it for food, others for companionship, and still others for show. Rabbits are one of those animals that can, depending on your needs, fill any of these rolls. Raising rabbits for any reason can be an extremely rewarding venture, but only if you take the time to properly educate yourself. You won’t get far raising rabbits without the necessary knowledge… you’ve taken a step in the right direction by reading this. Keep reading to learn the essentials of raising rabbits.

The domestication of wild hares has been going on for thousands of years. Today, the creature is far more passive than its more wild relatives, meaning that they make for excellent pets. If you are raising rabbits for companionship, there are some important things you need to keep in mind. First, rabbits are no cats, and they are not dogs – as previously stated, they are very passive and don’t often engage in play, at least not in the traditional sense of the word. Don’t expect to play rough with a rabbit the way you might with a dog. This means that they are excellent pets for children (who learn to handle them with care) because they don’t nip or knock down their playmate. Second, rabbits can often be very nervous, especially if the environment in which they live is dynamic and noisy – enclosing your pet bunny in a cage with a blanket over it can greatly reduce its anxiety. Third, if you let your rabbit roam free around your home, be ready to clean up after it! Even a housebroken rabbit can have accidents if it is frightened. Fourth and finally, avoid letting your rabbit outside unless it is very closely supervised. Rabbits are the natural targets for many large birds of prey, so it is not uncommon to have your beloved pet to the talons of a hawk or eagle.

If you are raising rabbits for food or fur, you should still be aware of the needs of the animal. Keeping your livestock happy and healthy is the key to a strong yield – the quality of both meat and fur can be diminished if the animal spends most of its time under stress or underfed. Try housing your rabbits in a comfortable environment that will protect them from both the elements as well as any potential predators in your area. Rabbit meat can be very high in protein and, depending on the hare’s diet and activity level, very palatable as well.

Whatever reason you have for raising rabbits, always keep in mind that they are living creatures who experience the same emotions that you do, only on a smaller scale. Whether you opt to keep them as pets, breed them for profit, or use their meat and fur to sustain you, always treat them with the respect that is due all living creatures and treat them as humanely as possible.

10 Responses to “Raising Rabbits – The Essentials”

• Gretchen says:

We’re new to raising rabbits and are really enjoying our Angora’s – thanks for stopping by my blog. I am always looking for people to feature as part of my homestead highlight series and would love to share your story. Take a look and let me know if you’re interested: http://www.backyardfarmingconnection.com/p/homestead-highlight.html

• dianne feradillo says:

Hello, i have always wanted to raise rabbits since they are so cute.. my friend even has one. Thank you for this wonderful article, it surely helped me in identifying the reason and how to raise a rabbit. :D

• Amanda Doire says:

I have always loved rabbits, and tried to have them as pets when I was younger. Thank you for the article – I saw some of the things I could have done differently. Now that I live in a bigger home where I can offer a rabbit a more quiet, less busy environment, maybe I can try again!

• We had alot of fun raising rabbits here when I was a kid. my dad and grandad raised them for years here to sell. Love your info here. Brought back alot of childhood memories for me.

• i love rabbit and me ad my sisters use to raise them as kids that was the good old days how ever when we was young we never knew how the rabbits got out of the cage till I caught my dad one night and found out they was dinner i have not raise anouther since that day but love to see them

• srisahara says:

Hi, my daughter loves rabbits, she has raised this animal for 1 year. We have got the advantages of them. My daughter can play with them. Part of them are sold and for our family meal. Thank, this article is wonderful.

• killboredom says:

My son have requested me to buy him a rabbit but i dont have enough knowledge on how to raise one that is why i am glad to came across on this page, this post is sure a big help for me, Thanks

• tinayu says:

rabbits are so cute with ruby eyes,long ears and snow-white fur.i love rabbits,when i was a child,i had raised two rabbits for three years.they were my babies,everyday,i fed them with grass,green vegetables,and carrots.i played with them,and named them lily and elly,yes,they were sisters.but,unfortunately,my parents gave them to my little cousin as i had to go to my junior middle school and didn’t have enough time to take care of them .i was very sad.thank you for your reminding me this beautiful memory.

• I am a great fan of rabbit. Always i like this cute creature. Glad to see a blog with the information about raising rabbit. Useful blog.

• Ram Bansal says:

Passivity of rabbits make them ideal pets for kids, like their toys. Simultaneously, rabbit breeding is a good commercial proposition.