ChickensOn Raising Chickens – There’s no denying how vital livestock raising and husbandry is to sustaining the modern agricultural nature of developed and undeveloped countries alike. Breeding and raising animals for food and companionship is something humans have been doing for thousands of years, and we are fortunate today to have that wealth of history and knowledge to guide our agrarian pursuits. Raising chickens offers a berth of benefits and is absolutely essential for maintaining our current way of life.

These humble, flightless birds have been an integral component of diet and lifestyle in the Americas for over three thousand years, though domestication of the chicken in other parts of the world dates back considerably farther. Not only that, but chickens, like many other animals on which we rely for sustenance, have become part of our cultural fabric – no matter the age of the observer, the form, function, and behavior of the common gallus gallus domesticus is instantly recognizable. Raising chickens as livestock is a practice just about every farmer across the country engages in, even if their trade is not in poultry – the eggs and meat chickens produce are essential components to healthy diets.

Over the many millennia, chickens have yielded to the hobbling secondary effects of domestication – it would be no stretch of the imagination to say that domestic chickens are completely dependent on humans for survival. They move slowly, cannot fly, and are plump targets for predators such as foxes, wolves, and cats. It is for this reason that special attention must be given to their habitat and security. Depending on the area in which you live, extra security measures beyond the plain chicken wire fence may be necessary – building sturdy, fenced in enclosures will ensure no harm befalls your precious fowl. Chicken feed is typically nutrient rich grain, and chickens can be fed directly from the hand. However, like other types of birds, they prefer to forage and will not eat from a bowl or trough. A good diet is perhaps the most important factor in raising a healthy stock of chickens because this will directly affect the quality of the meat and eggs they produce.

Chickens have a variety of uses when it comes to feeding people. Their meat is rich in protein and is considerably leaner than other staples, such as beef. The eggs they produce have an array of applications, from confectionery to cosmetic to even pharmaceutical (chicken egg yolk contains egg oil and lecithin, which is a component in many beauty and medical products we use every day). Of course, raising chickens can be a leisurely pursuit and doesn’t necessarily have to be for the purposes of food. Many people find joy in raising chickens as pets, much in the same way they would a dog or a cat.

The act of raising chickens is not something to be taken lightly, and education is the key to success. Remember, whenever you take up the charge of nurturing another living thing, you are responsible to that creature and must treat it with the respect and care you would any other life (yes, even if you plan on eating it!).

38 Responses to “On Raising Chickens”

• sibashankar says:

In my life I have seen many jobs but not all are satisfying. But farming is cool, you will always work in an environment cool around you. Rearing little chickens and growing plants is a decent job. And you will income a handsome salary.

• rucha says:

Even we had chickens in my native place. My grandmom use to take care of them. She use to tell me the advantages of them.

• May says:

based on what I read here, the chicken then add also increasing profits. Maybe there are things that need to be considered in addition to increasing the number of chickens, such as whether the chicken is healthy or not.

• Layla says:

I live up north near Canada and to my experience I have had up to a 6 foot fence and still cant keep the burgges in so I let them free range around my yard and woods they come back at night and sleep in the chicken shed. So when you find out please let me know. .I have been raising chickens peacocks guineas ducks and turkeys for over 20 years ..

• We raised chickens here in mx, for many years. It was great to have those fresh eggs here. its also alot of work/ Your info. is a big help.

• I love to raise chickens I use to have hundres of them all kinds of breds i miss them now and wish i still had them

• Alexey says:

We are spending Memorial Day enjoniyg Tropical Storm Beryl’s lovely rain! You have no idea how bad we need this rain here in north Florida. After tending to the livestock, I checked the garden and harvested jalapef1o peppers ( have been meaning to harvest and thought I would do the poor plants a favor and lighten them up so they can handle this rain better). So I will be putting up peppers, tomatoes and corn today

• Ja dee says:

Glad to see an article on raising chickens that aren’t cooped up in tiny cages. Nowadays, chickens tend to be in tiny cages in crowded barns for big companies. I would much rather buy free run eggs.

• PrincesaSelina says:

What you said about taking raising chickens lightly is really true! Because they are animals just like when someone takes a dog, or bird or whatever animal they choose to have as a pet or something they want to take care of they have to do that TAKE CARE OF IT! This was a really interesting article! Farming seems really interesting and a cool job to have; and animals are beautiful so it has to be even cooler being around the different type of animals that are on the farm!

• we have so many chickens in our farm, my mom raised them, feeding everyday, and you just let them go anywhere they want, you know, its their nature, because if you keep them in a cage, especially the native ones, they will not be as healthy as the free ones.. they produce more eggs, for us for our consumption because i love eggs.. we could sell them, and the mature ones are salable. people buy them in kilos, and it is in demand in our place, so lucky for us we have so many chickens.. native ones taste the best too..

• Taunia Ford says:

We had chickens when I was growing up. Now my grandchildren have them. I love the stories they tell me about them and how many eggs they find.

• tinayu says:

Chicken is vital for our daily life, i know many kinds of food which are eaten in one country but never are mentioned in another country.however chicken is everywhere in the world.accordingly raising chickens become more and more important.i hope that chickens grow up naturally with eating grass,grain,even little bugs,rather than eating some hormones which help them to grow up.

• Jing says:

I remember when I was a child, my family raised chicken. But now it is not available in the city any more. But I can still share these tips with my parents-in-law since they live in the countryside.

• JC says:

I remember growing up with chickens in the backyard of my grandmother’s home. It was the best time of my life. Every morning I would follow grandma to feed the chickens and collect fresh eggs. Nowadays rearing chicken is no longer allowed in the city, we can only get our chickens from fresh markets or supermarkets.

• srisahara says:

Wow…I love raising chicken. This job has been habit of our family for years. My mother always teach me how to make our chicken always healthy.

• TheElements says:

Haha! I had a cousin who is raising chickens. It is really annoying coz there are so many poop infront of our house. They are also noisy in the morning. But good is they woke me up in time.

• IH says:

Very informative article. Raising chicken is not an easy job. But there are certainly many benefits for that and I have nothing but respect for those who are doing it passionately with lots of caring.

• Vatrecia flowers says:

I love to eat chickens, meanwhile raising chickens is not for me. I love them when their young because they are so cute and cuddly. No i do not eat them while they are young.Chickens being raised on a farm is great for there nature anyways.

• Sona says:

Poultry farming is source of income to many people. Rising chickens need lot of care and attention. Periodic medication is also necessary to save the farm from outburst of a disease.

• rahulbwn says:

This is very informative article. Raising chicken is not an easy task. It requires lot of hard work to grow them.

• kemal turkkan says:

when i was kid my grandmom was raising the chickens ,they were 30 chickens and she has never complaining about it,why?
    because every morning we could eat fresh and healthy eggs.
    people only think about the meat of chicken,but we can also use their eggs and hairs.
    i think raising chickens help the environment and also makes us full.

• Tibias says:

This is a superbly informative website. I am definitely considering looking into raising chickens based on the information gained here.

• Rupesh says:

My parents live down the setert from this lovely home. What’s so amazing is it’s inside the city, but there is enough green space around to give it this pastoral feel. It’s right next to some soccer fields – you can kind of see the goals in the background of the third photo – making it feel even more expansive (and peaceful as long as no one’s practicing :)

• Stephen J says:

Chicken raising is a nice habit to have.If you invest enough time and effort on it,you can make a decent living out of it.Hope your article builds an interest in chicken farming for many people.

• ignatha says:

Nice post. and make happy with blogger

• Johnny Jackson says:

i have seen alot of farm in my life but havent seen some thing like this . this is the best farm i have seen in my life they are so caring about the chickens and life just like family.The chickens are disease free and much healthy then other.

• vikas dangi says:

Nice post, chicken contain much of protein and good for health.

• Mary says:

We are celebrating in a biettr sweet way. We are planting grass seed in our garden patch- biettr. But we are preparing to move from our rental home to our very own home on 5 acres where we can make many garden areas! SWEET!

• Jayesh says:

I like this page very very much I will try to raise chickens as suggested . Thanks and nice post

• Jeannette says:

This is a wonderful site. I am looking forward to reading more. I want to raise chickens so bad!! :)

I invite you to visit my blog as well. I will be back!!

• Awesome Blog says:

I see you have put a great deal of effort setting up and designing your blog! Well it has all paid off, with a big list of followers you have!I update and create blogs as well!

• really this is a nice web thank you thanks admin good post super messege

• I am glad to be one of the visitors on this outstanding web site (:, thankyou for posting .

• Jocelyn says:

Great and interesting topic here!

• Michael says:

I have been advertising on my blog as well!

• WEB-DL Movie says:

Nice topic: On Raising Chickens – Lina Mae&. I together with my buddies were found to be viewing the best procedures found on your web site and immediately I got a terrible suspicion I had not thanked the site owner for those techniques. All the ladies came so joyful to study them and already have simply been having fun with them. Appreciation for turning out to be very kind and also for opting for variety of awesome useful guides most people are really eager to understand about. My very own sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

• x264 AXED says:

Hot subject: On Raising Chickens – Lina Mae&. I precisely wished to say thanks again. I am not sure the things that I might have created in the absence of the type of pointers contributed by you on my theme. It truly was a horrifying issue in my view, but understanding the very expert technique you handled it took me to leap for fulfillment. Now i’m happier for your work and thus hope that you comprehend what a powerful job you were getting into teaching the mediocre ones all through your web site. Most probably you have never got to know all of us.

• Daydeon says:

I have trained in chceikn production and producing 100 chceikns every three weeks. I would to grow my business. How do I acquire government loan? I have a business plan and a land